|Name, Surname :
||Asaf Savaş Akat
|Place, Date of Birth :
|Marital Status :
||Married with Prof. Dr. Nilüfer Göle
||English - French
1954 - Levent İlkokulu, Istanbul (primary school)
1961 - Redondo Union H.S., Redondo Beach CA, USA
1962 - Galatasaray Lisesi, Istanbul (high school)
1966 - B. Sc.: University of Istanbul, Faculty of Economics
1968 - M.A.: East Anglia University, Norwich, England
1969 - Ph.D.: U. of Istanbul, Faculty of Economics
1970 - Research : London School of Economics, London, England
|Academic Career :|
1966 - Assistant at the Faculty of Economics, University of Istanbul.
1973 - Associate Professor of Economics at the same institution.
1974 - 1975 - National Security Academy, Istanbul Turkey, member of teaching staff during Military Service
1980 - Professor of Economics at Istanbul University.
1982 - Resigned from the Faculty of Economics of the University of Istanbul.
1989 - Lecturer in Economics at the Marmara University, Istanbul
1993 - Professor of Economics at the Faculty of Economics of the University of Istanbul
1994 - Founder and member of Academic Board, Istanbul School of International Studies
1996 – President, Istanbul Bilgi University
1998 – Professor of Economics, Istanbul Bilgi University
|Work Experience :|
Various executive positions in the private sector
Columnist of daily Vatan and weekly programme on NTV
|Social and Civic Life :|
- Member of the Alumni Association of the Faculty of Economics,
(Board member 1982 -1984)
- Member of Galatasaray Spor Klübü
- Trustee and Board Member of Terakki Foundation operating the Terakki Schools
- Member of American Economic Association and Royal Economic Society
- Founding member, trustee and Board Member (1991-93) of TÜSES Foundation for economic, political and social research.
- Founding member of Turkish Association of Simultaneous Interpreters
- Member of TÜSİAD Turkish Businessmen and Industrialist Association
- Founding member, deputy president and canditade for Istanbul from YDH - Yeni Demokrasi Hareketi (liberal political party) in 1993-96
- Member of Board of Editors of several journals and periodicals
- Honours, Awards, Scholarships
- AFS Exchange Student (1 year), Redondo Union High School, California, USA
- AIESEC Trainee (4 months), Norges Bank (Central Bank), Oslo, Norway.
- OECD Technical Assistance Feelowship (2 years),Norwich and London, England
- Distinguished Foreign Guests Program of the U.S.Government (1 month), different cities and States.
- Sedat Simavi Vakfı Award for Social Scinces (Alternatif Büyüme Stratejisi)
|Courses Taught :|
- Introduction to Economics
- Microeconomics (intermediate and advanced level)
- Macroeconomics (intermediate and advanced level)
- Growth Theory
- Mathematical Economics
- Economic Planning
- Turkish Economy Policy
- Current Economic Issues
- Normal Prices and General Equilibrium. Unpublished Ph.D. Thesis, Istanbul 1969.
- Modern Developments in the Theory of Economic Growth. Unpublished thesis for Associate Professorship, Istanbul 1973.
- İktisadi Analiz (Economic Analysis), İ. Ü. İktisat Fak. İstanbul 1980 – Eflatun Yayınları, Ankara 2009
- Alternatif Büyüme Stratejisi (Alternative Growth Strategy), İletişim Yayınları, Istanbul 1983
- Sosyal Demokrasi Gündemi (Agenda for Social Democracy), Armoni Yayınları, İstanbul 1991
- Large number of articles in periodicals, edited books, etc; several radio and TV appearances.